Chickpea Satay Salad
Chickpea Satay Salad
Beck: This one’s for the peanut butter lovers. These chickpeas are dressed in a glossy, satay-style sauce which we love to nestle into crunchy lettuce boats. The zesty limes cut through the richness and the crispy, fried onions top everything off with the perfect crunch. If you feel like something a little heartier, serve them as part of a rice bowl .
1 red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
1 x 700 g jar of Bold Bean Co Queen Chickpeas (or 2 x 400g tins), drained
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
100 g sugar snap peas, green beans or tenderstem broccoli
- A large bunch of fresh coriander (roughly 30 g), finely chopped
4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp of rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white or brown miso
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
Sliced mild red chilli (1-2)
- Cooked rice (100 g), Optional
- 8 little gem lettuce leaves (to serve as ‘boats’)
- Shop-bought crispy onions (optional)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salted peanuts, crushed
For the salad
For the dressing
Put the finely diced red onion into a bowl with the lime juice, crushed garlic clove and a pinch of sea salt. Stir and set aside.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl with the dressing and stir until they are fully coated in the sauce. Then, add the cucumber, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and coriander followed by the onion and lime juice mix and toss well. Add chilli flakes at this point if you like a bit of a kick.
- If using some cooked rice, sprinkle some as a base onto the lettuce boats. Top with the satay chickpeas followed by crispy onions and sesame seeds. Sprinkle over the crushed peanuts for some added crunch and garnish with the sliced fresh chilli. Finish with another squeeze of lime if you like it zesty.
Huge thanks to Beck Johnson, aka @beckbitesback for letting us put this recipe on our beanspo blog for all you guys to enjoy. Beck is an INCREDIBLY talented content creator who has a big obsession with food + INCREDIBLE photography skills. You guys are gonna love her dishes + we can't wait for her to make more!